My mom didn’t like beets; she thought they tasted like dirt. So, we never had them. In fact, I always said I didn’t like them. Then, not too long ago, I had a taste… and it was a revelation.
And, now there is no stopping the beet fest! Beets everyday.
Here’s my favorite, “clean eating,” simple way to have ’em; it’s so easy that it’s hardly a recipe… Arugula with Beets and Goat Cheese.
Beet, Arugula, & Goat Cheese Salad
- beet slices
- goat cheese
- dates, dried cranberries, or dried cherries
- freshly squeezed lemon juice
- olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Start with a bed of greens; I like peppery arugula with the earthy flavor of beets.
- Add beets; use roasted, pickled, or grate them raw.
- Add chunks of goat cheese.
- Add dates or dried fruit.
- Squeeze lemon juice over the whole thing.
- Splash a bit of olive oil over everything.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Image credit: © Anastasiia Vorontsova | Dreamstime.com